Tuesday 13 April 2010

Kate at Keld

Minister in training Kate Baxter is the latest to have spent a week as "Minister in Residence" at the Keld Resource Centre in Swaledale. Here she shares her experiences...

Last year David Peel ‘phoned to ask if I would be interested in spending a week at Keld as minister in residence. It didn’t take me long to decide - yes please.

I had never been to Swaledale before so had little idea what to expect, despite looking at the wonderful pictures available on the Keld Resource Centre web site. I arrived the Saturday before Easter to wet snow, but the Manse was warm and welcoming, a home in waiting. Keld itself is tiny, 23 houses, but a community that draws from outlying farms and houses. As soon I introduced myself, by knocking on doors, I was welcomed. A warning must be given about the amount of lovely cake and tea that you just can’t say ‘no’ to while in Keld!

The main Easter worship in Keld URC was held at 2pm with a congregation of sixteen, ranging from fifteen months to eighty eight years. And we celebrated. On each day I held worship in the church at 8am and 4.30pm. Most days I was on my own and sometimes I was joined by locals and people passing through. But there was something rather wonderful and, I suppose monastic, about being alone in a church offering praise and prayer and the Scripture, holding the people of Keld and visitors and farmers in prayer.

My days were mainly taken up by visiting known members of the congregation, friends of Keld Resource Centre and speaking with walkers and cyclists passing through at this place where the Pennine Way and Coast to Coast walks cross. There was time also to explore the Swale and it’s dramatic scenery and waterfalls, to watch and listen to the birds and just to be with God.

It has been a week of a journey in Keld. It’s all about being a minister in residence in Keld. Talking, sharing, praying and being in the midst of this place. It has I think, shown me how important it is as a minister to be yourself in a place and with people and to be open to the movement of the Spirit. All sorts of unexpected conversations have been had, two women who were waking and stopped to chat gave me a hug and said ‘God bless’ when they went.


It is important to be with people in God’s love in the middle of whatever they are doing and wherever they are. It comes back to what I learned in hospice work; that as a minister of God you are viewed as carrying not only God with you but also all the stories and traditions of Christianity, of our great story. So long as you are the person God called you to be and you are willing and able to share with others and let others share with you.

It has not been a week I will forget easily. I fully intend to come back, there is so much to do and see and I’ve not even managed to touch the tip of the iceberg.

If you have never been to Keld the Manse is available to rent as a holiday cottage, or perhaps just a day trip. But go and experience for yourselves the warm hospitality of this place where the stranger is truly welcomed.

No comments:

Post a Comment