Monday 18 July 2011

Mozambique Blog (3)

Sunday July 17th

“Is our Synod like your own?” is the question people kept asking me. “What are the differences from your own?”  “Are our ways different from yours?”

The four-day Synod of the Presbyterian Church of Mozambique came to an end earlier today, with much singing and dancing by an open-air congregation that must have totalled around 2,000. It is of course the Synod meeting of the whole Church, and so is really to be compared with our General Assembly, although in size it is only a little larger than our own Northern Synod meeting. But like General Assembly, people come from all over the country, and there is lots of enthusiastic meeting up of people who may not have seen each other since last Synod, or even longer.

But how to answer the question? After a day or so I quite forgot to say anything about the singing and dancing (which I think is probably what was expected of me). Yes of course that is different – but it quickly goes without saying. No one comes up to present a report without singing the first line of a song which everyone will immediately join in; and we know that there will be two or three occasions in each session when everyone will be up on their feet and swaying. It’s hardly worth noting that the main difference from our meetings is that this one happens to be run by African Christians in Africa.

So I found myself saying that in fact we have quite a lot in common. We both worry about resources, and seem not to have enough to do the things that we want (or that we think God wants us) to do. And maybe we’re both mistaken there. And I heard voices crying out for real  evangelism in which Christians really look outside the church instead of sheltering inside it. Familiar or not? And I suppose the opening procession bore some resemblance to our traditional Parade of the Moderators at General Assembly, though here it’s all the Pastors who process, and in Genevan gowns and tabs – though I imagine the hodgepodge of styles might disturb those of our brethren and sisters who like that sort of thing.

But dare I speak openly of the differences? I did with some who seemed to want me to be honest. Debating at great length trivial matters like the style of the delegates’ registration card (which has to last five years) seemed a terrible waste of Synod’s time: surely a committee could have processed that? And nearly the last item of business, deciding where the one-day autumn synod should be held, was taken absolutely cold, and as one delegate pointed out, it seemed that those who shouted loudest were the winners. So there were times when you felt the need for a Mozambican James Breslin to see that business was executed briskly, and without doubt or ambiguity. But generally this Church is getting its act together. Some of the troubles of recent years are being ironed out by a Verification Committee which has responsibility to see that decisions made by Synod are in accord with the new Church constitution and also the law of the land. Serious stuff – but it was clearly needed, and now it is happening it seems to be well received.

But for all the serious stuff and hard work, being at the Synod was a great experience and great fun! The general hospitality of the host parish was magnificent: cooked meals (served under canvas) at lunch and in the evening, and special and sometimes embarrassing care for their guests from outside the country. I enjoyed the game of trying not to get forced to use the special guests’ loo (which involved disturbing women who were busy in the kitchen) – but it was hard not get shouted at as you made your way to the perfectly clean and adequate “common” facilities. At meal times we were invariably pushed to the front of the queue, and given seats of honour.  More important, we non-Portuguese speakers were provided with translators throughout the sessions, who not only helped us to understand what was going on, but also were able to share opinions and give us a broader sense of opinion within the Church.

It’s been a great time too for meeting up with people again. Armando arrived from Chimoio yesterday; and this morning I was saved from making a fool of myself in the offertory procession by Ignatio from Xai-Xai, who’d heard us greeted and came to the front to greet me personally. Lazaro, and Naftal from Ricatla, have been two of our faithful and efficient translators; and Amos Zita (like me now retired, but more deserving I suspect) did one session too. I’ve enjoyed conversations with people like Jonas Ngomane, and Pastor Carlos from Zobue, as well as individuals I’d already met up with again over the past ten days in and around Khovo – and a good number of people I met at Synod for the first time, but I hope not the last. And I should mention that Matthew has been faithfully sitting through every session, not meeting any young people as was vaguely promised, but looking forward now to a trip with a parish youth group going north in the next couple of days.

I had five minutes or so Friday morning to speak and bring greetings from everyone in Northern Synod, and assure them that this Partnership has real meaning to us all. I just hope it does – and I realise that it’s up to those of us who are enthused by it to try and enthuse others and get everyone involved. I hope that the rest of the time I have here may give me some opportunities to explore with IPM people ways in which we can try to do this.

But first of all, after four days of early rising and long day sessions – time for what I feel is a well-deserved sleep.

John Durell

No comments:

Post a Comment