Friday 18 July 2014

Sabbatical Blog 2: Manatoulin Island, Ontario, Canada

Ray Anglesea shares the second installment of his blog

Huron Carol revisited


“Twas in the moon of winter-time, when all the birds had fled,
that mighty Gitchi Manitou sent angel choirs instead”

The Huron carol is a common Christmas hymn in many Christian denominations. Canadian in origin it was probably written in 1642 by a Jesuit Missionary, the melody based on a traditional French folk song. The English version of the hymn uses Canadian imagery in place of the traditional Nativity. Jesus is born in a "lodge of broken bark", and wrapped in a "robe of rabbit skin". He is surrounded by hunters instead of shepherds and Magi are portrayed as "chiefs from afar" that bring him "fox and beaver pelts" instead of the more familiar gifts. The hymn also uses a traditional Algonquian name, Gitchi Manitou for God.


And it was to Manitoulin Island the home of Gitchi Manitou and peopled 300 year ago by Ottawa Indians that I headed to in June 2014, a long 8 hour drive north of Toronto with a refreshing overnight stopover at the beautiful Georgian Bay. Manitoulin Island is a Canadian Lake Island in Lake Huron, the largest fresh water lake island in the world where native life and legend combine with European history. I was heading to the small community of Sandfield, some distance from the island town of Manitowaning the first European settlement, near to the small town of Wikwemikong which remains the only unceded Indian Reserve in Canada.

Durham Canon Stephen Cherry writing in his blog “Another Angle” May 2014 stated that he “believes in sabbaticals, and would encourage clergy to make the most of the opportunity not for productivity, but for a deeper sort of renewal. Big things can happen on sabbaticals, especially if they are not over-planned and if there is an element of exploration and an intentional stepping outside of the personal comfort-zone.”

Out of my comfort-zone on the island was indeed an under-statement!  My nephew in his wind-up about the island had not prepared me for the worst - no internet connection and no WiFi! Having lived and worked in Africa I could just about cope with packs of mosquitoes, a 15 minute drive to the nearest highway, 30 minutes to the nearby shop, and lack of nearby medical facilities. For a person who can’t function at all without constant input and support from other people, I had a feeling that I may be overwhelmed and trapped by boredom and fear on Peter’s 35 acre estate; in a large bungalow designed in the style of that famous American architect Frank Lloyd Wright, with lawns that rolled down to the lakeside, the large wooded estate comprising of stables, childrens cabins, tennis courts and a boat house.  Could I manage without my daily habitual ways of seeing the world through technology, particularly through social media networks for which, I freely I admit, I am a prisoner? The cottage at Sandfield maybe beautiful, the beavers and brightly coloured humming birds awesome, the silver lake shimmering in its early morning glory, but it is hard to be cut off completely, and the instinct to switch on the phone, just in case, is overwhelming.   

After 48 hours of reading, walking, taking the speedboat out for a spin, dinners at local restaurants, the urge to switch on gradually subsided. The imposed de-clutter, the enforced detachment, freed the heart to honest self-appraisal and confession uttered from the deepest place.

God had brought me intentionally I suspect to a retreat place, to rest and relax, to find a deeper sort of renewal,  to explore again the beauty and love of his world. Peace and stillness began to settle on me.

I guess most of us want to think of ourselves as good, kind, intelligent and caring people. Sometimes that’s true. Sometimes it isn’t. I guess reality is complex.  Everything we have, I suspect everything we’ve learned about our faith came to us through someone else’s hands. At our best, we pass on this borrowed faith to others, enhanced by our contribution. At our worst, we waste and squander it. And in that week I began to realize that the truth really does set you free; free to work on being better and to forgive yourself for being human; free to express your gratitude to others and recognize what you owe them; free to acknowledge your feelings without letting them dominate your life. Above all, free to understand the truth of living: that much of what happens to you is no more than chance. It can’t be avoided and is not my fault.

But this week’s communion with God is ultimately I believe to help me reach out afresh to those around me. After all Adam could not cope with being alone – God had to give him a companion in order that human life in all its depth and richness could begin. I guess we are hardwired for relationship, for connectivity. It struck me therefore there is a profound synchronicity between the yearning for connection with God and our connectivity with one another. I guess the Ottawa Indians may have used smoke signals to connect with one other long ago, (to sing the Huron Carol perhaps?), my iPhone is another way. But the same search for reception in the remotest place stems from the same impulse that drove Moses up a hill all those centuries ago, to communicate with the divine and to return with the ultimate hardware, the building blocks for human and divine relating. 

So unashamed I was thrilled to hear my phone beeping at Tim Hortons when we left the island - Tim Hortons is a Canadian multinational fast casual restaurant known for its coffee and doughnuts. It is also Canada's largest fast food service; and offers free WiFi. Yippee!

After a week on the island I felt at peace, my heart open in expansive generosity, ready to receive.


Ray Anglesea
May 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment